Recommend a Good Book

Have you read a good book lately?  Would you like to recommend it to other students?  Share a few thoughts about it so others can enjoy it too!

20 comments ↓

• #   Madison on 04.24.12 at 5:22 pm     Reply

A book that I would recommend is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and it is a book that I think a lot of people would enjoy. When I started to read this book, it was nothing like I expected it to be, but in a good way. The book has many themes and life lessons that I think almost everyone that reads this could relate to in some way. The history and information about Native American Indians is introduced and taught a lot throughout the book and that is something I have never been introduced to and learned about which I found really interesting.

• #   hi on 04.24.12 at 6:05 pm     Reply

A book that I would recommend is The Thirteen Reasons Why and they have it in the school library. It is written by Jay Asher. The main character is a girl named Hannah and she actually plays a dead girl. The other main characters name is Clay, and he is listening to a voice recording that Hannah made before she killed herself. The setting of the book takes place in about 50 different places because on the recording, Hannah leads him to different places to explain why she took her life. In this story, Hannah kills herself and she records herself before, to give to a kid that explains all the thirteen reasons why she decided to take her life. I would recommend this book because it can teach people a lot and it is a book that I never wanted to put down while reading. It is a very interesting book and I think any age or gender would like to read it.

• #   hi on 04.24.12 at 6:08 pm     Reply

Another book that I would recommend to people would be The Things They Carried. It is written by Tim O’brien. There were many main characters throughout the book but two of the guys were named Tim himself, and Ted lavedner who are two soldiers fighting for American and their lived in the Vietnam war. It takes place in Vietnam during the war, and also back in the US as the soldiers write home to their loved ones. This book is non-fiction, so it is basically just things that happen to the soldiers while they are at war and most of the things are brutal dealing with death, grief, and the longing for their loved ones. Although this book isn’t as fun to read as some other books, I think people would find it very interesting. It is a story about the Vietnam War, but not a story that you would expect. Everyone learns about war in class at some point but this story goes into more detail than I have ever read. The story is pretty depressing but it teaches more in depth stories and events that happen in war then I think anyone has ever learned about.

• #   hi on 04.24.12 at 6:13 pm     Reply

A book that i would recommend is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian written by Sherman Alexie. Two of the main characters are Arnold, and Rowdy. Arnold and Rowdy are best friends who live on an Indian reservation together until Arnold moves schools out of the reservation. This book takes place in the Spokane Reservation in Washington. This story is about a Native American boy who wants to persure his dream oustide of the Reservation he lives in and along the way he experiences poverty, death and dreams. It is a book that I think a lot of people would enjoy. When I started to read this book, it was nothing likle I expected it to be, but in a good way. The book has many themes and life lessons that I think almost everyone that reads this could relate to in some way. The history and information about Native American Indians is introduced and taught a lot throughout the book and that is something I have never been introduced to and learned about which I found really interesting.

• #   Morgan on 04.25.12 at 3:04 pm     Reply

A great book is Impulse by Ellen Hopkins. In the book there are three main characters, Vanessa, Conner, and Tony. These characters are all trying to figure out who they are during the book and solve their problems that they faced at the beginning of the book. The setting is present day in a psychiatric hospital for teenagers. The book alternates from chapter to chapter about whose point of view it is from. The storyline of Impulse is all three of these main characters attempt suicide and are sent to a hospital that helps them realise why life is important and how to get out of their depression slump.

I would reccommend this book because it is written differently than any other book I have ever read. Ellen Hopkins never fails to write page-turning books with unpredictable endings. The ending to this book ties everything from the book together in a perfect, twisted way. Not only are the stories by Ellen Hopkins interesting, they are an oppurtunity to learn and understand people that are going through tough situations because she is extremely accurate with demonstrating their emotions so you can feel them also.

• #   Morgan on 04.25.12 at 3:14 pm     Reply

Uglies by Scott Westerfield
    Two of the main characters are Tally Youngblood and Shay. They are both adventerous and ready to stir up chaos if it allows them freedom, trying something new, and escaping the town’s odd rules.
    The setting of this book is in the future in cities and in the wilderness.
    In Ugly town people are turned ‘pretty’ at age 16. This is Tally Youngblood’s dream. She prepares her entire life to turn pretty and finally be able to move to Pretty town. However, she meets a new friend named Shay who has a crazy idea that she should remain Ugly because something is up with people turning ‘bubble heads’ (or stupid) once they turn pretty. Shay runs off a few days before her 16th birthday leaving Tally with the choice to become pretty or to also runaway also.

I would reccommend this book because it is clever and written about the future. As the story goes on you learn more and more about the town secrets and its very interesting. I enjoyed reading this book because it was adventerous and all the characters were risky.

• #   Morgan on 04.25.12 at 3:25 pm     Reply

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The main character of this book is Charlie. Charlie’s only friend in middle school commits suicide and Charlie is left to go to his first year of highschool with no friends. He is a ‘wallflower’ which means he is told a lot but doesn’t talk about what he learns and what he sees. In highschool he meets Sam and Patrick who are seniors that become his best friends. The story takes place at different parties, school, and at Charlie’s home. The story is about Charlie’s first year of highschool and how he developes. He goes to his first parties, smokes weed for the first time, and becomes extremely close to multiple people.

I enjoyed this book because Charlie’s perspective of life is interesting and really does explain what a true ‘wallflower’ is. The book has a strange feel to it and as you continue reading the main characters seem to be going insane. At the end of the book Charlie remembers something that he forced himself to forget when he was younger and it somewhat explains other parts of the earlier book.

• #   Sydney on 05.01.12 at 5:29 pm     Reply

One book that I would recommend is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. The novel takes place in the southern state of Mississippi in the early 1960s. Two of the main characters are Skeeter who is a 22 year old and she wants to be a writer. After coming home from college she finds that her maid that she grew up with is gone from the house. She comes up the with the idea of writing a book about the view of 12 African American house maids, after seeing how her maid was treated. Aibileen is a house maid that deals raising the child of the women she works with and has to keep a clean house while also cooking meals. Aibileen is the first person to give Skeeter any information for her new book. The plot of the book is the events that lead up the the book being published. The maids are very afraid that their employers will read about how horrible they treat the maids and that they will loose their jobs. I would reccommend this book because it is a very sad story that you can feel the emotion through. You will learn more about the time period when maids were made to do anything and you can learn that you should treat people with more respect.

• #   Fatima on 05.01.12 at 5:35 pm     Reply

A book I would recommend would be The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. The main character of the novel is Amir, the narrator of the novel, is a Pashtun who loved storytelling and flying kites. The second main character of the novel is Amir’s best friend Hassan, the son of Amir’s father’s servant. The story starts out with Amir living a luxurious life in Kabul, Afghanistan but then later moves into the United States when Amir and his father escape the Russian invasion in Afghanistan. The story is about a young boy and his experience before and after the Russian invasion in his home country. Through the novel, you see the choices, good and the bad, that Amir makes concerning his friends and family. You also get to experience the changes that take place in Amir. There are a few disturbing scenes portrayed in the novel and all around, I thought the novel was very sad. I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a deep plot revolving that triggers a few tears here and there.

• #   Fatima on 05.01.12 at 5:57 pm     Reply

A book I would recommend would be The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The two main characters were Nick Carraway and Jay Gatsby. Nick Carraway is the narrator of the novel who lives next door to Jay Gatsby and tells the story of this man all the while trying to be moral. Jay Gatsby is a very mysterious and young, rich man who is in love with Nick’s cousin Daisy Carraway. No one seems to understand Gatsby’s background story or what he is doing in West Egg (a city in New York). The story takes place in East Egg (neighborhood for the rich) and West Egg (neighborhood for those who aren’t as rich) New York. Jay and Nick live in West Egg, while Daisy lives in East Egg. The story seems to revolve around the American Dream and what it meant to the different characters. Jay Gatsby’s American Dream is to attain the unattainable, Daisy. Jay and Daisy used to be young lovers but Daisy ended up marrying Tom when Jay went off to war. I would recommend this novel to those who appreciate a bit of history incorporated in a tragic love story given in another man’s point of view.

• #   Fatima on 05.04.12 at 3:15 pm     Reply

A novel I would recommend would be A Separate Peace, written by John Knowles. The two main characters of this novel are Gene and Phineas, who is known as Finny through the majority of the novel. Gene is the narrator of the novel and he is a very smart, intelligent young man who attends a boarding school with his best friend Phineas. Phineas, Finny, is the best friend who is very athletic and loved by many. He’s a daredevil who cannot say no to anything. With everybody looking up to Finny, Gene has no choice but feel envious and jealous of Finny. When one day Finny and Gene decide to jump out of a tree and into a river, Gene’s jealousy brings out the worst in him and causes him to make a decision that affects him and Finny for the rest of their lives. Most of the novel takes place in the prep school both Gene and Finny attend, Devon prep school. I would recommend this book to basically every person of every age due to the themes and the ideologies mentioned throughout the novel. All in all, it’s a really good book that I very well enjoyed.

• #   Daniel on 05.07.12 at 4:00 pm     Reply

One great book to read is “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This book is about the narrator, George, and his summer in New York during the 1920′s. George’s neighbor, Jay Gatzby, is a wealthy, mysterious man, who is in love with George’s cousin, Daisy, who lives across the bay with her jerk husband who cheats on her. George and Gatsby live on west egg, which symbolizes new money, and Daisy live One East Egg, which symbolizes old money. the book is pretty much about Gatzby trying to win over Daisy, his long lost love. who is linked to her through George. The book is so great because all of the symbolism and metaphors. I reccommend this book for readers interested in a really deep meaning. this is one of my favorite books I’ve ever read.

• #   Daniel on 05.07.12 at 4:17 pm     Reply

Another great book is “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins. It is about Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, who are chosen to participate in the annual Hunger Games. the games started after the nation of Panem took control of north america and devided it into 12 districts. each year, the capitol selects two teenagers, male and female, from each district to compete in a battle to the death as a reminder of the capitols power over the nation. together, Katniss and Peeta fight to stay alive in this thrilling book. This book takes place in the distant future and the games are held in some woods. I reccomend this book for a teenager because there is a lot of teenage-drama stuff that goes on. it is also a good read for people who like action and suspense.

• #   Daniel on 05.07.12 at 7:25 pm     Reply

Another good book I read was “of Mice and Men” by John Steinbeck. The book takes place in 1930′s dust bowl. It is a timeless tale about two migrant workers. One of them, George is small, yet cunning, and he looks after his friend, Lenny who is very large, yet mentally retarded. George promised Lenny’s aunt that he would take care of him and they developed a special bond when they go out on their own to look for work. Together, they find work on a ranch, where Lenny gets into trouble, causing George to constantly come to his rescue. This book is one of the greatest examples of friendship you will ever see. I reccomend this book for anyone interested in learning more about the culture of the 40′s.

• #   Jessie on 06.05.12 at 4:55 pm     Reply

Another book I read was the book after shiver.The book is called Linger by Maggie Stiefvater, this book was even better than the last. Sam and Grace have found each other and fallen in love, but they have a new problem on their hands and this time and it’s not winter. It’s a new wolf named Cole. Cole has a troubled past that lingers with him and decides his future for him as a wolf and as a person.

• #   Jessie on 06.05.12 at 5:03 pm     Reply

And one more book I read was the third in this trilogy was Forever. By: Maggie Stiefvater, she basically puts everything together in this book and made it the best one out of the three. Grace and Sam have proven their love to the world but know it faces a true test of love. The wolves are being hunted by the people of the town and Grace has long passed her transformation and is now facing the truth about her past and that one day on the swing. Sam has to fight off the urge to change and leave her behind so he can not only save her but the other wolves that have joined the pack…

• #   Erika on 06.05.12 at 5:52 pm     Reply

Hunger Games:
    A book that I would recommend is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The main characters in the book are Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark. The setting of the novel is sometime in the future in North America, but in now called Panem. The country is split up into several district and Peeta and Katniss both come from District 12. Peeta’s name was called out of the lottery, but Katniss volunteered to be tribute in her younger sister’s place of the annual Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is a competition that a boy and a girl from the ages 12-18 from each district fight each other to the death and there can only be one victor. I would recommend this book because although it is an exciting novel and hard to put down after you started reading. I like this novel because I loved the excitement in the novel. Although the novel is rather violent in certain areas, it keeps you on edge and makes your heart race. I also thought that the transitions in Katniss and Peeta’s life were very interesting and how the author displayed their transitions of life in poverty, in the capitol and in the arena. The author also writes with excellent imagery in the novel, that it feels like watching a movie.

• #   Erika on 06.05.12 at 5:53 pm     Reply

Catching Fire:
    Another good novel is Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, which is a sequel to the The Hunger Games. Catching Fire has more secondary characters that become very helpful to the main characters, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark. After Peeta and Katniss win the Hunger Games together, they return home trying to transition outside the Hunger Games arena and what they experience, as well as a wealthy lifestyle. Little to Katniss and Peeta’s knowledge, that both of them surviving the Hunger Games was an unintended act of rebellion. Katniss and Peeta try to convince the public from the other district that it wasn’t an act of rebellion, to prevent uprisings in the districts. In addition, for the seventy-five Hunger Games means that it is a Quarter Quarrel. Every twenty-five years of the Hunger Games, the Hunger Games has to present the Quarter Quarrel, meaning that the Capitol will put a sick twist to the rules of the Hunger Games. This novel takes place a year after The Hunger Games takes place, and the setting is in District 12, the Capitol, the arena, and briefly in District 11 of Panem (North America). I would recommend this book to those who enjoyed The Hunger Games, because it contains the same intensity and excited as the first novel did. It is also interesting how in the first novel, Peeta and Katniss’ relationship was for the cameras of Panem, but in Catching Fire, they grew to have a much stronger bond that was real and not just acting. Something that I enjoyed bout this novel is that the living victors and the citizens of Panem were re-evaluating the justice of the Hunger Games and the Capitol. This is actually the first time I read a novel whose sequel is as good as the first novel.

• #   Erika on 06.05.12 at 5:54 pm     Reply

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.
    A good book to read is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Two main characters in this novel are Junior/Arnold and Gordon. It takes place mostly on the Spokane reservation and Reardon High School. The novel is about a boy, Junior, who has lived on the Spokane Reservation his whole life, and decides that he has to leave to go to Reardon, a white school, so that his life could have more meaning and purpose. I would recommend The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian because it is the perspective of a teenage boy, so teenagers are most likely able to relate to Arnold. This book is also very informative and insightful about the struggles, poverty and alcoholism on the Indian reservations, as well does it show the importance of expectations outside our own expectations. I think that it is very interesting how Junior/Arnold transitions from the different environments and people in Reardon and the reservation. It is also interesting how the different expectations from both Reardon and the reservation have big effects on Junior/Arnold and his decisions.